A. As per Notification No. 470 dated 29.8.2008
Central Civil Services (Revised Pay) Rules 2008
Revised pay structure for certain posts in the Ministries, Departments and Union Territories
Section II (page 54)
Sl. No. Post Present Pay scale Revised Pay Corresponding pay band and grade pay Para No. of the report
Pay Band Grade Pay
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
1. Income Tax Officer / Superintendent / Appraisers etc (Central Excise & Customs) 7,500 – 12,000 7,500 – 12,000
8,000 – 13,500
(After 4 years) PB-2
B. Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure Resolution dated 29.8.2008
1. (x) Regarding Group ‘B’ cadres, the Commission’s recommendations will be modified in the following manner:-
(e) Group B Officer of Department of Posts, Revenue etc will be granted Grade Pay of Rs.5400 in PB-2 on non-functional basis after 4 years of regular service in the grade pay of Rs.4,800 in PB-2. (page 31)
Comments: The above resolution clearly specifies that when an officer completes four years of regular service in the grade pay of 4,800/- (or earlier scale of 7,500/- as clarified vide CBEC letter dated 21.11.2008) is eligible to get grade pay of Rs.5,400/-. It does not specify that it is only applicable to officers on completion of four years after being promoted to the grade of Supdt. Hence, in the latest clarification as intimated by CBEC the Dept. of expenditure exceeded the limit and introduced some new conditions which was not the intention of the resolution.
C. The Assured Career Progression Scheme (ACPS) OM No. 35034/1/97-Estt(D) dated 09.8.199
1. Essence of the Scheame:The financial upgradations under the scheme will be available if no regular promotions during the period of 12 years and 24 years have been availed by an employee.
6. Screening Committee
6.1 A Departmental screening Committee shall be constituted for the purpose of processing fro grant of benefit of ACP scheme
6.2 The composition of the screening committee shall be same as that of the DPC prescribed under relevant Recruitment / Service Rules for regular promotion to the higher grade to which financial upgradation is to be granted.
Annexure-1 (To ACP Instruction)
Conditions for grant of Benefits under the ACP Scheme
1. The ACP scheme envisages merely placement in the higher pay-scale/grant of financial benefits (through financial upgradation) only to the Government servant concerned on personal basis and shall, therefore neither amount to functional / regular promotion nor would require creation of new posts for the purpose;
6. Fulfillment of normal promotion norms for grant of financial upgrdations, performance of such duties as are entrusted to the employees together with retention of old designations, financial upgradations as personal to the incumbent for stated purposes and restriction of ACP scheme for financial and certain other benefits (Housing Building Advance, allotment of Govt. accommodation, advance, etc) only without conferring any privileges related to higher status (e.g. invitation to ceremonial functions, deputation to higher posts etc.) shall be ensured for grant of benefits under the ACP scheme.
7. Financial upgradation under the scheme shall be given to the next higher grade in accordance with the existing hierarchy in a cadre/category of posts without creating new posts for the purpose.
9. On upgradation under the ACP scheme, pay of an employee shall be fixed under provisions of FR 22(I)(a)(I) subject to minimum financial benefits of Rs.100 as per DOPT Memorandum No. 1/6/97-Pay.I dated July , 1999. The financial benefit allowed under ACP scheme shall be final and no pay-fixation shall accrue at the time of regular promotion, i.e. posting against functional post in the higher grade.
Comments: As per the above ACP instructions, an officer upon getting ACP is eligible for all financial benefits of the nest higher cadre The grade pay of 5,400/- is also one such financial benefit.
D. ACP sanction order No. 13/ET/BBSR-I/2004 dated 01.4.2004 ....the following officers in the cadre of Inspectors of Central Excise . …. Are hereby granted 1st Financial upgradation, as indicated AGAINST Col. 4 of the table below, to the pay scale of Rs.6500-200-10,500/- of Superintendent Group ‘B’ from the dates as mentioned against each officer against Col. 5 of the table below under Assured Career Progression (ACP) Scheme subject to the conditions mentioned thereafter.
Comments; Upon getting ACP, we had become eligible for all the benefits of Supdt.